White Lady Death Wish
Darrell was in the middle of a dream when his cell phone rang. He instinctively grabbed his cell phone under his pillow and placed it right under his nose, he didn’t have his glasses on: it was Audrey and it was 3:12 AM. She sounded so excited he couldn’t understand a word she was saying.
– “Hold on Audrey, slow down please. What’s… what’s going on?” whispered Darrell.
– “I found it! I f*cking found it, and I just bought it!” she said trying to hide a certain excitement.
– “You found what? Audrey it’s the middle of the night, I’ve gotta get up early tomorrow for my shitty job, what the hell do you want!?”
– “The dagger! I’ve got the f*cking dagger! I bought it and it’s gonna be here in a couple of days!”
Darrell stayed silent for a moment, trying to make sense of all this, then it hit him, White Lady’s dagger!
– “No way!” he said, suddenly excited too.
– “Yes! I found it! I finally found it! I told you I would!”
– “Okay, huh, did you check all the marks and details? How do you know it’s the real one?”
– “Dude, of course I checked everything, do you think I’m a retard. It’s got all the details, it’s a perfect match. It’s the dagger, her dagger!”
– “Oh man, it better be, this could be the video that’s gonna make us famous!”
– “Hell yeah!”
Two days later, Darrell arrives at Audrey’s apartment. She opened the door for Darrell and he followed her to the living room. She was all dressed up with her complete gothic outfit and it suited her well, black leather showing off her attractive curves, pale makeup that contrasted with her beautiful dark eyes that brought out her seductive personality. He would have certainly fallen in love with her a long time ago if it wasn’t for Audrey’s dark side and self-destructive tendencies that the scars on her wrists could testify. She was the typical dark, gothic young adult fond of grim, twisted matters and he was the typical chubby nerd and also one of her very few friends.
Allen was already there, setting up the camera’s lens and microphones. They shook hands while Audrey disappeared into the bathroom to finish putting on her makeup.
There was a small cardboard box sitting in the middle of a low table, still unopened.
– “I hope it’s for real, otherwise it’s gonna be a comical episode, I tell you what.” said Allen while checking the spotlights.
Allen joined the duo only a year ago. A simple guy, laid back and shy. He was the tech guy of the team, and preferred to manage things behind the camera.
Audrey comes back with shots of vodka for everyone and answers Allen’s question:
– “It is, I’ve spent enough time doing my research, tracking different owners, and the timeline.”
– “But what if it’s just a replica, it just won’t work according to you.” replied Darrell. “Or what if it’s not even what you’ve ordered, who’s the seller anyway?”
– “I have that feeling again you know, it’s the real thing.” she replied quietly.
– “Ah yes, your… connection.” Darrell said while staring at Allen, expecting the same skepticism from him, especially him.
– “All I know is that we’re gonna make this video and our million subscribers will watch it no matter how real this is.” Allen winked with a big forced smile on his face.
– “You’ve got a point!” concluded Darrell.
Half an hour later Audrey was ready, while Darrell checked his microphone one last time.
Allen made sure they were right in the frame of the camera and started shooting.
Audrey smiled and started off with her signature welcome.
– “Creep or Treat everyone, this is Audrey” followed by Darrell’s line “and I’m Darrell, and welcome to another episode of ‘Signs of Evil!’”
– “Alright so tonight we’re doing the unboxing of an object that will be crucial in our next quest to uncover ancient evil! Darrell, would you please explain to our viewers what we’re up to?”
– “Absolutely Audrey, but first I need to tell you a story. You guys probably know her by many different names: The Weeping Woman, The Ghost Lady, The Running Lady, La Llorona, or simply as The White Lady. It’s a worldwide phenomenon where a ghost woman, usually dressed in a white dress, is seen in specific areas. Sometimes she just teases and frightens the local folks, other times she makes direct contact with people. The reason of these apparitions varies depending on the stories or location, but often the White Lady is seeking revenge over her death or tries to show the way to a hidden treasure she hid before she died. But we could simply describe her as the embodiment of women’s souls who have met a tragic and often violent death. It’s the quintessence of female agony coming back to haunt us all. Imagine a thousand horrible deaths and desperate souls merging into one single entity. That’s what the White Lady is and we are here today to shed some light on this phenomenon with the help of what’s inside of this box.”
Allen zoomed in on the cardboard box. Audrey grabs the box and shows it to the camera, continuing Darrell’s introduction.
– “Turns out the spirit of the White Lady is often linked to an artifact, which happens to be this weapon that literally created the first White Lady… by killing her. It is a sacred dagger that some say is possessed by a demon or evil spirit. The dagger’s origin is a different topic altogether and will probably be the subject of another video, but for now we’ll focus on its link with the White Lady and the power it exerts on her. Because based upon the old writings and folklore, whoever possesses the dagger can control her.”
Audrey shakes the box to the camera.
– “Now believe it or not, after months of extensive research across the internet, our team was finally able to get their hands on the actual dagger.”
Darrell nodded with a smile.
– “Let’s open our present, shall we?”
They tore apart the box and removed the sheets of paper filling the box. Audrey and Darrell were suddenly very quiet, Allen approached the box and got his camera even closer. Audrey lifted up the dagger in the palm of her hands, showing the artifact to the camera. If it wasn’t the exact object they were looking for, the dagger unarguably stood as a refined piece of art. The handle seemed to be carved into a translucent dark kind of marble stone, covered with blurry yellowish veins. Light refracted inside in a strange way, like if some mischievous lifeform was trapped inside. The blade was a work of art in itself, forged in silver and engraved with detailed mystical runes. It would also catch light in a peculiar manner, flashing back the reflection like some kind of warning.
– “Ladies and gentlemen, we present to you White Lady’s dagger…” said Darrell with a low voice.
Audrey was completely fascinated by the weapon’s beauty, caressing the blade from the tip of her forefinger. Eventually she cut her finger and a drop of blood beaded out, which freed her from her trance.
– “The blade is still so sharp after all these centuries.” she whispered.
– “Now that we have this dagger, things can really start to get fun.” said Darrell. “Next stop is Greenwood Cemetery, where there’s the highest sightings of the White Lady. This is where we think we’ll have better chances to summon her and possibly make an encounter with the help of the dagger, the long-lost item that she’s been desperately seeking for centuries.
– “And cut!” added Audrey.
The team geared up for exterior shooting, they packed all the necessary material which fitted into one bag. They jumped into Darrell’s car and hit the road toward their destination. They stopped by at a Starbucks and got their hot coffee that they took with them. They kept discussing their plan in the car as Allen kept recording along, this would add to the dynamic, balance, and pacing of the video.
Audrey seemed even more enthusiastic than in any of their other previous quests. She’s been on this case for months now and she’s been carefully preparing this episode. She had read everything available on the White Lady’s subject, she bought books, and even did some research at the national library. She got overly involved in this topic, sometimes neglecting the other subjects of other episodes. Now the dagger was resting in her backpack that she held against her chest. It was not only the key to a great episode, but possibly a game changer in her life, boosting her career, not to mention her name would be famous in the paranormal research community. She kept day dreaming about her future success until they arrived at the gates of Greenwood Cemetery.
– “So, where do we start? Should we search for the spookiest spot or how does this work?” asked Allen.
– “I think it doesn’t really matter since we have the dagger. We could summon her from anywhere I guess.” Audrey replied while gazing at the cemetery through the window.
Allen looked at Darrell who shrugged his shoulders.
– “So why did we drive here? Couldn’t we have stayed at your place?” frowned Allen.
– “Because a cemetery looks much better than my apartment, we’re trying to attract as much viewers as possible remember?” Audrey immediately replied.
Again Allen looked at Darrell.
– “She’s got a point” he said.
They parked the car and walked to the entrance of the cemetery. From there they followed Audrey without asking any questions as she seemed confident leading them to a specific spot.
After a little while, they arrived at an intersection with gothic arc gates set up with iron grid doors. Beyond this crossroad stood a magnificent cupola supported by Greek-styled columns. In the center lied an imposing Anon statue. Allen immediately started to record as he spotted a great place for a background. And he was right, Audrey turned around with a little smile.
– “Here, this is a nice spot, what do you think guys?” she said.
The boys smiled in return. Crypts and tombs surrounded the cupola, it was like the center place of a necropolis, with different architectural art style straight from past centuries. The vegetation had claimed its rights among the human structure, invading every area it can with tall grass, imposing trees, and vines, putting the place in a perfect balance between life and death. A natural gateway between the paranormal realm and our world. There was nobody besides them, which was perfect for the circumstances.
– “We ready boys?” asked Audrey.
– “Whenever you are.” replied Allen who had already started to record.
Audrey put her backpack down and took the dagger out and carefully hid it inside her leather jacket.
They gathered under the cupola and they started shooting. Audrey talked to the camera and explained that they would look for signs of any kind of manifestations. If nothing happened then they would try another way to summon the White Lady.
Allen panned the camera around while Audrey and Darrell kept filling the soundtrack with comments. There was no sign of anything happening. Only the wind in the trees and the sky getting darker as the day was coming to an end, the air also got fresher, but nothing out of the ordinary seemed to happen.
Allen stop recording and they took a break; they all sat on the stairs under the cupola and the boys had a snack.
Darrell took a sandwich with peanut butter and strawberry jam while Allen had a chocolate bar. Audrey wasn’t hungry, she just kept gazing around, still focused on her quest. Allen finished his snack and stood up, checked his camera, and adjusted the setting as the day was growing darker. He aimed his camera at Audrey and Darrell and froze. He stuck his face to the screen.
– “Guys, guys…” He said with a low voice.
– “Yep, I think Allen is right, we should go and try another day. Or another location…” sighed Darrell
Audrey remained silent.
– “No, guys, I’m telling you something is going on. I can see something moving right behind you guys.” said Allen
Darrell raised his eyebrows and looked behind, Audrey did the same, but the only thing they saw was the still statue sitting on its pedestal and the only thing they would feel was the cold wind. They frowned and turned back to Allen. He was holding his camera tight and was walking slowly towards them, toward the silhouette he was seeing in his little screen. He stopped right in front of them, lifting his head and looking back to his camera screen.
Darrell stood up and looked over Allen’s shoulder, staring at the screen too. What he saw gave him the chills.
– “Audrey, we have found her… She’s standing right behind you.” said Darrell
– “If this is a joke…” She promptly stood up and took the dagger out of her jacket and brandished it like if she was about to stab someone.
Suddenly a mysterious fog started to roll in, seeming to originate from nowhere, as it formed on the ground. The fog started to rise up and shape itself into a humanoid form. At the same time, a swarm of small pieces of ragged, white fabric seemed to materialize from thin air. It swirled around the figure of fog now turning into a smoky maelstrom and assembled into a white dress, conserving it’s torn and ragged aspect. The fog quickly solidified into a human body made of flesh and bones, or so it seemed.
The White Lady was standing right in front of them, her dead white eyes fixed on the three, with a chilling blood expression in her livid face that could have been that of a dying woman. She almost looked like a statue with her almost translucent skin, with dark veins browsing underneath, like a sculpture made of marble in a museum. She had dark long dirty hair, with cluttered wicks partially hiding her face.
The three stepped back, Allen even stumbled and fell down the stairs and got up as fast as he could.
The White Lady turned her head to face Audrey with her hypnotizing dead eyes and she rose her right arm in her direction.
– “That dagger belongs to me, give it to me.” said the ghost with an imperious voice, full of anger and bitterness. A windy sound came out of her throat when she spoke, like if she had asthma.
The two boys were the most frightened of the three, as they continued to step back, visibly terrorized by this unusual sight. Audrey stayed still where she was, sporting a determined expression and a fierce look in her eyes, her hand strongly clutched to the dagger.
– “No, this dagger is mine and I’m keeping it.” Audrey calmly said, with a bit of tension in her voice betraying her braveness.
The ghost opened her eyes even wider, outraged by Audrey’s answer. She dashed in her direction so fast that her face stood two inches close to the girl in a blink of an eye, her dress following her body in a delayed slow motion as if she was moving underwater with pieces of fabric peeling off and immediately disintegrating into the air. She startled Audrey, but the young woman managed to stand her ground. The White Lady was trying to intimidate her, but visibly she could not touch her or harm her, the dagger was protecting its new owner.
The White Lady slowly retracted, while still maintaining a furious gaze and started to float around Audrey as if she would assess her enemy and tried to find a crack to exploit. The girl slowly turned around and followed the ghost’s every move, staring right at her.
Again, the spectral figure dashed forward and stopped right in front of her in a swift motion.
– “I will devour your soul and it will rot inside of me forever…” said the White Lady with a chilling smile.
Slowly Audrey glanced at Allen’s direction, she was sweating and looked very tense despite her apparent calmness. Her hair rose up, floating around her head from the electric charge emanating from the phantom.
– “I hope you got that on tape Allen…”
– “Hell yeah I do!” he said, remaining professional despite the odd circumstances.
Audrey firmly kept the dagger close to her chest while raising her left arm straight forward.
– “Now get away from me and always keep your distance at least 10 feet away…”
The White Lady unwillingly obeyed and silently moved back without her feet touching the ground.
Audrey sighed in relief and relaxed a little bit, seeing that the dagger and the legend about its power worked liked she had hoped it would.
Darrell was still speechless and sweating, but he also started to relax a bit.
Audrey turned around and faced the camera.
– “This is Audrey from the ‘Signs of Evil’ channel, and what you just saw is an authentic ghost summoning taking place right here, right now at Greenwood Cemetery in New York. This dagger I have right here in my hand is an ancient artifact linked to the spirit of the White Lady, the phenomenon sighted all around the world. There is no fakery here, this is a genuine recording of a ghost I’ve managed to lure into our plane of reality.” she said proudly with a touch of excitement in her voice.
The White Lady was standing where Audrey had ordered her to stay, floating in the background behind Audrey. Shyly, Darrell nervously entered in the frame, carefully watching his back.
– “Absolutely, this is probably the first time ever that an event like this is caught on camera and it’s brought to you by the ‘Signs of Evil’ team, we’d like to remind our viewers that…” Darrell added before being interrupted by a loud howling behind him.
The White Lady charged at Audrey once again as she was facing the camera and neglected to keep an eye on the spirit for a mere second. The static charged friction shoved Darrell and almost made him stumble like if someone had kicked him in the back.
Audrey stumbled back, but she managed to avoid falling and to keep the dagger out of White Lady’s grasp.
– “I said this dagger is mine and you will return it to me!” the White Lady yelled, spitting all her hatred to the young woman, floating a few inches from her face.
Darrell and Allen were frightened and worried now. It seems they have awakened this horrible entity and it looks like it wasn’t going away until it gets what it wants. Audrey may have thought she could have easily handled this situation and control the ghost with the dagger, but how long would she be able to do so? The White Lady looked relentless and full of negative energy. What have they done?
– “Audrey, maybe you should do as she says and we get the hell out of here, we have enough material to close this video…”
– “Or maybe we just get the hell out of here right now…” Allen added. “Keep the dagger locked away somewhere Audrey and forget all this for now.”
– “Can’t you guys see? She can’t harm us, she’s pissed off, but she can’t do anything.” replied Audrey with a smile, hidden the dagger in her back and gaining confidence again. The White Lady kept floating around her, but was unable to directly touch her, as she would be stopped by an invisible wall. She moved back with a different expression in her face, but still visibly upset.
Allen grabbed Audrey’s arm.
– “Audrey, we need to go now, I’m not feeling this.” he said nervously, constantly keeping an eye on the vengeful spirit.
– “No, we can’t leave, this is what we’ve been waiting for! Dude, this is our chance to be rich and famous!” replied Audrey, not letting the ghost out of her sight.
– “Well as for me, I’m outta here, you guys enjoy your party.” Darrell said, already walking away.
– “Damn you Darrell! Now that we’re dealing with the real thing, you chicken out on us!?” Audrey yelled at him.
The White Lady noticed the conflict arising in the group, she smiled and slowly started to fade away, disappearing into the darkness, with small patches of fabric dissolving in the air.
– “Shit! Shit! Shit! Where did she go?” said Audrey.
Allen used his camera and tried to track down the White Lady, hoping he could still see her like he did before. He turned around nervously, trying to catch anything on screen.
Audrey raised her hand, flailing the dagger in the air.
– “Hey, White Lady! It’s here! Your dagger is here! Come and show yourself now, I’m ordering you to show yourself at once!” Audrey yelled out, but she got no reply.
It was night now and the place was almost completely dark. The only source of illumination was coming from the lights of the city, glittering in the background. The air was freezing and even snow began to fall.
Audrey kept looking around, trying to accommodate her eyes to the dark, and after a little while, she had realized that even Allen wasn’t around anymore. She called his name several times, but Allen didn’t answer or show up, and Darrell had left long ago. She was all alone and didn’t know what to do, she hadn’t planned this and was terrified.
Darrell was arriving where they had parked the car. He was looking for the keys in his pocket, still shaken by the sighting, and not thinking straight when he heard someone behind him:
– “Can you help me please?”
He turned around to see a young girl standing there, crying and looking miserable. “I was with my parents, but then I got lost, now I can’t find them. Can you help me please?”
Darrell was upset and confused, the night had already been chaotic enough and now this little girl showing up, asking for help, but she was very young and looked so helpless. Darrell looked at her and decided he should indeed help this little girl.
– “Alright, alright, we’re gonna call your parents, do you know their number?” He said while looking one more time in the direction where the group had previously gone to venture. When he turned back to talk to the child, she had the face of the White Lady, angry and menacing. He stumbled back, bouncing into the car. The little girl dashed towards Darrell in the blink of an eye and sunk into him. He had been possessed by the one of the many faces of the White Lady, Audrey never mentioned that particular ability from the ghost, but it was irrelevant now, his body was under the control of the White Lady.
Allen had also suffered the same fate, just when he had spotted the White Lady on his camera again and started to follow her, he noticed that the ghost had played with his senses and separated him from Audrey. He’s been under her spell until the White Lady manifested right in front of him, becoming intangible and making it through his body, taking possession of his mind.
Audrey turned around, desperately calling to her friends, lost and confused, not knowing what to do or where to go anymore. It seems she had underestimated the White Lady’s extraordinary abilities and under-evaluated the situation she created for herself. That’s when she saw her friends coming back, she felt a rush of relief and sprinted towards them. They both seemed very calm, even Darrell looked like he had come to his senses again. As she was getting closer to them, she noticed they were even smiling. Was it a prank played on her? Have they planned this all along in order to record the best reactions on camera for the show? It seemed highly plausible now that things seemed to have gone back to normal and they were all back together again. She got so convinced about the prank possibility that she didn’t watch for any signs. Something was wrong, but it was too late now.
Allen pounced on Audrey, and immobilized her with his strong arms, Darrell grabbed her arm and snatched the dagger right out of her hand. She looked at him, in complete shock and disbelief. His face had strange waves running over it and when his eyes turned white, Audrey noticed there was another face juxtaposed to his friend’s. She recognized White Lady’s traits moving underneath Darrell’s face, like if her body was acting the same way as his, but with some slight delays. She understood the ghost had taken control of his body and there was nothing he could do now to escape. The only sign that Darrell was still inside and conscious of his possession was a shed of tear rolling down his cheek.
In a lust of violence and rage, Darrell plunged the dagger into Audrey’s body an unlimited number of times, splattering blood everywhere around them while Allen continued to hold her tight. She didn’t scream too much as she quickly got short of breath, the pain scorched her mind to the point that she almost fell in a trance. Darrell would not stop stabbing, sending small pieces of flesh flying in the air when her whole body was already drained of blood.
Audrey’s mind had already left this world and was wandering into an infinite void of complete darkness. The reminiscence of her life still echoed within her soul until nothing was left to hear or see.
Then, when she thought her soul was finally at peace and that she would forget about the pain and horror of the last moments of her life, she woke up.
The darkness tore apart and dissipated around her, revealing a new state of awareness. She looked at herself and her body was in the same state as when she had died, her belly wide open in an obscene gaping wound. The pain slowly started to come back, burning her entire body. Her mind could sense her surroundings and she first thought she was in the middle of a small dark room. As her senses got familiar with her new environment, the walls of the room started to stretched further away, revealing a much bigger scene, a horrible scene. The ground consisted of bodies piled up one over the other, all drenched in dark blood; tons of naked female bodies lied upon each other. Everywhere she looked, she could only see agonizing figures, screaming in pain. Extended arms desperately seeking help rose from underneath layers of moribund bodies, like if they were grown, spreading all over the place. The darkness gave up to a red, dark, cloudy sky, which in turn revealed a field filled with thousands of agonizing bodies, forming a surreal landscape of infinite torture. Hills of contorting bodies and steams of blood extending to the horizon. The sounds of thousands of screaming and lament resonated as far as one could hear. There was nothing but pure desolation, pain, and sorrow in this place.
– “Welcome to your new existence Audrey.” said the White Lady, standing next to her. “You will now share your pain with all of us and we’ll welcome yours. You can now taste an infinite world of agony and endless sorrow, from which we gain our power.”
Audrey collapsed and fell to her knees from the pain, but also from the terror. The White Lady got closer to her face.
– “Isn’t this what you’ve been looking for all your life? You like to suffer don’t you? Now you’ll have all of eternity to enjoy pain, just like us, united forever.” she shows her the dagger. “And with this, we shall extend our realm even farther. Rejoice as you are now a part of the great legend.”
Audrey could no longer stand the pain, both physical and mental, she screamed as loud as her exposed lungs could allow, her scream and despair blending into the land of lamentation.